Licenses/ Permits


Dog owners are responsible for purchasing a dog license for all their dogs, to secure the license tags to the dog collar and to keep the dog on their property.

Rabies vaccinations must be current and certified at the time of licensing. Dog license fees are $10 for spayed or neutered dogs and $15 for non-spayed or non-neutered dogs; private dog kennel $50; Commercial dog kennel variable rate depending on number of dogs. All dogs are to be licensed by April 1st of each year or when they reach the age of five (5) months.

Click here for the license application or contact the town treasurer.

The town of Ellsworth currently uses The River Bluff Humane Society in Red Wing, MN for animal control of stray and impounded animals.


Land use permits are required for ALL new structures, any structural changes and additions.  To obtain the land use permit and sanitary permits contact the Pierce County Land Management Department at 715-273-6746.

However if you live within 1 ½ miles of the Village of Ellsworth boundary, you live in the ETZ (extraterritorial zoning) and you will obtain your land use permit through All Croix Inspections – see #4 below for more information.

Building permits are required for:

  • New Homes
  • Alterations/additions to current homes or for changes that alter occupancy area, structural strength, fire protection, exits, natural light or ventilation.
  • Decks
  • Commercial structures

Go to the All Croix Inspections website, click on Building application and procedures and fill out the proper forms. The website is:

Plan ahead: All Croix Inspections has 10 business days to review and approve your application upon receipt of all necessary documentation.

Inspections are required for new homes and alterations/additions.  The inspections needed will be determined by the building inspector during plan review and will be notated on the issued building permit.  See All Croix’s website for the general inspection procedure:

ETZ – (Extraterritorial Zoning) – parcels within 1 ½ miles of the Village of Ellsworth limits are considered to be in the ETZ.  When a structure is proposed for a parcel in the ETZ, go to the All Croix Inspections website

Click on Building Applications and Procedures.

  • A LAND USE PERMIT will be needed for all projects in the ETZ, so scroll down and click on Village of Ellsworth/ETZ
  • Click on ETZ land use permit
  • Print the application, complete in ink and submit to All Croix Inspections by e-mail or mail.

After completing the Land Use Permit and you are PROPOSING A NEW HOME/ADDITION/COMMERCIAL BUILDING - proceed under item #2 above.

PROPOSING A POLE SHED OR UTILITY BUILDING – once All Croix Inspections has issued you a land use permit, submit that permit to the Ellsworth Town Clerk.  The Ellsworth Town Clerk will issue the building permit for your pole shed or utility building.  The cost of the permit is $100.

When a structure is proposed for a parcel in the ETZ, or the owner of the parcel requests a rezone, or the owner requests the parcel be subdivided, or some other change is proposed that affects the zoning and use of the parcel, the parcel is subject to approval by the Village of Ellsworth.  There may be occasions when a fee is charged by the Village of Ellsworth and there probably will be public hearings.  Any of these situations will delay your project so plan ahead.


Driveway permits must be obtained prior to land use and building permits.  Click here for the driveway application.   Driveway applications are also available from the town clerk or town chair.  The driveway application fee of $50 is due when the application is submitted to the clerk or the chair.  The town board will review and approve/deny the driveway application at their regular monthly meeting. 

All new driveways and private roads must meet the town standards as outlined  in the Town of Ellsworth Ordinance 2017-1 “Road and Driveway Ordinances.“ 
Pierce County Land Management is responsible for assigning addresses and house numbers and they will need a copy of your driveway permit.


It is illegal to burn garbage and painted or treated lumber in Pierce County.  The town does not issue burning permits but if you plan to burn, notify the town chair or one of the supervisors AND the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department at 715-273-5051 to let them know when and what you are burning.  If you do not notify the Sheriff’s Department and someone calls in your fire, you will be charged for the fire call.


Fireworks permits are required in the Town of Ellsworth. Contact the Town Chair to receive a fireworks permit. There is no charge for these permits.