Licenses/ Permits


Dog owners are responsible for purchasing a dog license for all their dogs, to secure the license tags to the dog collar and to keep the dog on their property. Any dog running at large should be reported to the Town Chair.

Rabies vaccinations must be current and certified at the time of licensing. Dog license fees are $5 for spayed or neutered dogs and $10 for non-spayed or non-neutered dogs. Kennel License is $40.00 (6-10 dogs).  For 11 or more dogs, please add an additional $5.00/animal.

All dogs are to be licensed by February 1st of each year or when they reach the age of five (5) months.

To obtain dog licenses, contact the Town Treasurer.


All new construction is required by state law to have a building inspector perform inspections to ensure codes and standards are followed.  This includes new homes, additions to homes, alterations of structure, new construction of decks, detached garages, out buildings and commercial structures. 

New Home Construction – New home construction must be approved by the Town of Spring Lake before you can apply for a building permit.  Provide a brief, written description, (including location site/address, estimated dimensions, number of bedrooms, attached/detached garage), along with your name and best way to contact you.  Send the above information to or mail to PO Box 178, Spring Valley, WI 54767.  The Town may visit the proposed building site. The owners may also be asked to attend a Town Board meeting.  After the Town meets (at a regular monthly meeting) and reviews the request, you will be contacted with approval to continue or a request for more information.

To see the “New Dwelling Permit Application and Submittal Process”, click here.

Once you receive approval from the Town of Spring Lake, you can contact our building inspector, Joshua Melstrom of Melstrom Inspections at (480)261-9014 or email

Residential Addition/Alteration – examples include: Electrical Service Upgrade, Basement Finish, Attached Garage, Enlarging Windows and/or Doors, Adding a Fireplace, Solar PV, Screen/4 Season Porch, Kitchen Remodel, Bath Remodel, ETC.

Outbuilding Construction – examples include detached garage, garden/utility shed, pole shed, etc.)

Deck – Any deck, whether connected to a structure or free-standing, that serves as an exit must meet the standards of the WI Uniform Dwelling Code. 


Land use permits are required for all new structures, any structural changes and additions. To obtain land use permits and sanitary permits contact the Pierce County Zoning Department at 715.273.6746.


All new driveways, changes to an existing driveway surface, grade or width and relocating driveways having town road access requires a Permit for Access Driveway.  Application permits for driveways with a state highway road access are available from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.  Application permits for driveways with a county road access are available from the Pierce County Highway Department.  Upon completion of the application, approval of the town board and paying the $100 driveway permit fee, a driveway permit will be issued.

Town of Spring Lake Driveway Permit

The Pierce County Zoning office is responsible for assigning addresses and fire numbers.


It is illegal to burn garbage and painted or treated lumber in Pierce County. The Town does not issue burning permits, but if you plan to burn, call the Pierce County Sheriff's Department (715-273.5051) to let them know when and what you are burning. If you do not notify the Sheriff's Department and someone calls in your fire, you will be charged for the fire call.


Fireworks permits are required in the Town of Spring Lake. Contact the Town Chair to receive a fireworks permit. There is no charge for these permits.