Licenses/ Permits


Dog owners have the responsibility to purchase a dog license for all their dogs, to secure the license tags to the dog collar and to keep the dog on their property. A non-licensed, untagged dog running at large will be picked up by the board. Contact the Town Treasurer to obtain your dog licenses.

A dog license is required for all dogs over the age of 5 months. All dogs must have a rabies vaccination and proof of such vaccination must be shown to purchase a license for your dog. Please pay with a separate check when paying your first 1/2 taxes. Dog license fees are $5 for spayed or neutered dogs and $10 for non-spayed or non-neutered dogs.


Building Permit Procedure


Driveway permits cost $100.00 and can be obtained from the Town Chair.

The Pierce County Zoning office is responsible for assigning addresses and fire numbers.


Fermented Malt Beverages and Intoxicating Liquors

  1. Applicant successfully completes a responsible beverage server course before applying. These courses are available online and at vo-techs. Bar owners, existing bartenders and the Wisconsin DOR website are suggested resources for locating a course.
  2. Applicant completely and truthfully fills out and signs application form. Incomplete applications will be returned.
  3. Applicant mails or delivers application with $20 fee to Town Clerk.
    • Please make checks payable to the Town of El Paso.
    • Please use U.S. mail or for convenience, applications in an envelope may be dropped off in the Town mail drop box located at the Town Shop entrance of the Government Center.
  4. The Town Clerk is required to do a background check for major infractions of the law to validate the application information.
  5. The Town Clerk adds application decision to the agenda of the next board meeting. Approved licenses will be mailed to the applicant after the board acts on them.
    • Operator (a.k.a. Bartender’s) licenses are renewed every even year. The two year license period is July 1 to June 30.
    • Even if the individual received their Operator’s license during the current period, they still need renewal at the even year July 1 date.
    • Town Board meetings are typically, but not always, the second Monday of each month. In order to meet agenda publishing deadlines for the official newspaper, the applications must be submitted to the Clerk two weeks in advance of the meeting.


It is illegal to burn garbage and painted or treated lumber in Pierce County. The town does not issue burning permits, but if you plan to burn, notify the Pierce County Solid Waste Department at 715.273.3092, the town chair or one of the supervisors AND the Ellsworth Fire Department (715.273.4653) AND call the Pierce County Sheriff's Department (715.273.5051) to let them know when and what you are burning. If you do not notify the Sheriff's Department and someone calls in your fire, you will be charged for the fire call.

The following licenses are also required in El Paso Township: Liquor, Operators, Cigarette, and Public. (Temporary license if alcohol will be offered for sale. Only sanctioned or licensed organizations are allowed this type of license.)