Licenses/ Permits


Dog owners are responsible to purchase a dog license for each dog, to secure the license tag to the dog collar and to keep the dog on their property.  Wisconsin statute requires the licensing of dogs by April 1 of each year or when they reach 5 months of age. Municipalities with unlicensed dogs are required by statute to turn the names of the dog owners over to the district attorney for prosecution.  Penalties for failing to license your dog range from $50 to $100 from the state, plus cost of prosecution and late fees from the township for each dog.

The township also asks for your cooperation in following ordinance 2005-1 DOGS RUNNING AT LARGE. Penalties for incompliance of the ordinance range from $200 to $500 for each violation for each dog plus court costs and impoundment and care fees if your animal is taken to the humane society.  To avoid these penalties, the dog must be in your control or some other person, on your legal premise, and not on the road.

The dog license application form must be filled out completely or it will be returned.  Proof of current rabies vaccination from your veterinarian must be included with your license application. Please provide a copy of the rabies certificate as they will not be returned.  Dog license fees are $5 for spayed or neutered dogs and $10 for unspayed or unneutered dogs.  Mail the completed form, for each dog, with a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate, and your check to the Town Clerk/Treasurer.

Dog License Application Form


  1. New Construction, Additions and Out Buildings require a Pierce County Land Use Permit in addition to the Town's permit. To obtain a Pierce County Land Use Permit contact the Pierce County Zoning Department at 715.273.6746. (Some Ag. Buildings that may be exempt.) If the construction is a new house, you will also need a Sanitary Use Permit which can also be obtained through the Pierce County Zoning Department.
  2. Clifton's building permits consist of the following steps:
    • Contact the building inspector to complete an application for the permit and to schedule an on-site inspection of the area of new construction.
    • The building site must be staked out as well as the location of the septic system. The inspector will at this time determine if you also need a driveway permit.
    • You must have two sets of building plans and two plot plans, one for the inspector and one for the town clerk.
    • Pierce County Zoning/Land Management will issue you your street address which is required before the town approves your permit application.
    • When all of the above are completed, your application will be presented to the Clifton Town Board for approval, on the first Tuesday of the month (unless this falls on an election day), at 7 P.M., corner of QQ and FF. If approved, the town clerk will issue a permit. All permits need to be obtained before construction begins. If construction begins before all the permits are in, the building permit fee will be doubled.

Building Inspector
All-Croix Inspections, Corp.
1810 Crestview Drive 1C
Hudson, WI 54016
Office: 715.377.2152

To see a list of licensed contractors - click on Professional List

Anyone proposing to create a Certified Survey Map or a subdivision in the Town of Clifton shall enter into a Developer's Agreement with the Town if the Development being proposed: 1) will create or affect public improvements whether already built or proposed to be built and dedicated to the Town: 2) will create private roads or other private improvements that will serve lots created in the subdivision or Certified Survey Map; or 30 if erosion control or storm water management devices will be permanently installed and drain or affect storm water drainage from areas other than the individual lot on which such devices will be located. Refer to Ordinance 2006-2.

Developer's Agreement

Driveway permits must be obtained prior to land use and building permits. Private access road and driveway applications are available from the Building Inspector, All Croix Inspections, Corp. at 715.377.2152. All new roads and driveways must meet the codes set by the Town Board. All private roads must be built according to town standards.

The Pierce County Zoning office is responsible for assigning addresses and fire numbers.    


It is illegal to burn garbage and painted or treated lumber in Pierce County. The town does not issue burning permits, but if you plan to burn, notify the Pierce County Solid Waste Department at 715.273.3092, the town chair AND the local Fire Department AND call the Pierce County Sheriff's Department (715.273.5051) to let them know when and what you are burning. If you do not notify the Sheriff's Department and someone calls in your fire, you will be charged for the fire call.

The Town of Clifton DOES NOT ISSUE permits for fireworks.