WIC, Nutrition & Physical Activity

Due to COVID-19 all in person WIC appointments are suspended.  Please call 715-273-6758 for more details.  WIC continues to provide services using non-physical presence.

Nutrition and Physical Activity Programs

Pierce-Pepin Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)


WIC provides families with healthy food, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and access to many other health services. WIC benefits keep families strong and healthy! Babies born on WIC have better birth outcomes and better health later in life.

The Pierce-Pepin County WIC program may be contacted either by calling (715) 273-6758 or emailing WIC@co.pierce.wi.us

Interested in WIC?

WIC Benefits
Click here for video on what WIC can do for you!

Healthy Food

Healthy lives start with healthy food. WIC provides all participants with healthy, nutritious foods to supplement their diet. These foods include:

  • Fruits and vegetables: fresh, frozen, and canned
  • Milk, cheese, and more dairy
  • Cereal and other grains
  • Peanut butter, beans and more
  • Formula, if needed

Nutrition Education

WIC makes shopping for healthy foods, and eating them, easy. These are a few ways that WIC supports its participants:

  • Personalized nutrition counseling
  • Prenatal nutrition tips
  • Shopping guidance

Breastfeeding Support

There are many benefits to breastfeeding. WIC helps participants figure out how to breastfeed by providing:

  • Lactation support and education
  • Peer counseling
  • Classes and information

Care Beyond WIC

WIC also provides access to many other services, such as:

  • Immunizations
  • FoodShare
  • Medicaid
  • BadgerCare Plus
  • Birth to Three
  • And other healthcare services! 
Apply for WIC
Do I qualify for WIC?

Please call the Pierce-Pepin WIC program at (715) 273-6758 to speak with someone about applying for WIC. Or fill out this WIC PRE-APPLICATION and someone will contact you.

You may qualify for WIC if you:

  • are a resident of Wisconsin
  • are pregnant, breastfeeding, or are a new mother
  • have a child under five-years-old, and
  • have a household income that meets WIC guidelines

Dads, grandparents, foster parents, and other caregivers of children under the age of 5 may also sign children up for WIC.

Current WIC Participants

How to use WIC
Shopping with WIC

Wisconsin WIC helps you buy the foods you and your children need to stay healthy. The WIC foods in your monthly food package are specifically chosen to promote good health, growth, and development. With your eWIC card, you can only buy foods that are approved by WIC and in your current benefits. The authorized foods are described in these videos. The current food list is effective November 1, 2019 - October 31, 2022.

WIC foods must be purchased from an approved WIC vendor. Click here for a list of local stores that accept WI WIC benefits.

WIC-approved Foods

Only certain foods can be purchased with WIC. Approved foods are available in the WIC-approved foods booklet in:

Checking Your WIC Balance

WIC participants can check their WIC balance several ways.

  • Call 1-877-231-3452, the number listed on the back of your WIC card
  • Go to the Wisconsin MyWIC app
  • Check online at Ebtedge.com
    • Under "EBT Cardholders," select "More Information"
    • Enter your eWIC number and PIN
  • Find your balance on your last grocery store receipt
  • Ask for your balance at the grocery store
Clinic Sites
Pierce/Pepin WIC Clinic Sites

Site Address Clinic Dates
Durand 740 7th Ave W, Durand, WI 54736 1st Tuesday and 3rd Thursday of each month
Ellsworth 412 W Kinne Street
Pierce County Office Building – Middle level
1st Friday, 2nd Wednesday, 3rd Saturday and 4th Thursday of each month
River Falls 1234 S Wasson Lane Suite A 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month
Prescott 206 Locust Street 
United Church of Christ
3rd Tuesday of
February, May, August, November
Spring Valley S520 Church Avenue
St. John's Church
3rd Tuesday of
January, April, July, October
Fit Families
Fit Families Logo

WIC offers Fit Families to families with 2 to 4-year-old children. WIC nutritionists provide support and tools to these families every month for a year. Children who have completed Fit Families eat more fruits and vegetables, drink less juice, are more physically active, and watch less TV.
We work with community partners to build strong, healthy environments for all families in Pierce and Pepin Counties with these key messages:

  • Make Every Bite Count...More Fruits & Veggies
  • Make Every Sip Count…More Healthy Beverages
  • Move More…Watch Less
  • Eat Healthy, Be Active…Your Kids are Watching

For more information on the Fit Families program, please contact our Registered Dietitian at 715-273-6755

Places to Play Guide
WIC Farmers' Market Nutrition Program
WIC provides Farmers' Market checks for families to purchase fresh, locally grown fruits, vegetables, and herbs at farmers' markets and stands. WIC provides checks once per summer beginning in June.
How to use your WIC farmers' market checks:

  • Pick up your checks from the Pierce-Pepin WIC office.
  • Visit a farmers' market with WIC-approved vendors between June 1st and October 31st.
  • Find a market or farm stand in Wisconsin.
  • Look for the "WIC-approved vendor" yellow sign.
  • Choose your fresh, locally grown fruit, vegetable, or herbs.
  • Use one or more of your checks at a time. You cannot get change back.
  • Give your checks to the vendor. No need to sign or show ID.
  • Enjoy your fresh fruits and veggies!
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors
Breastfeeding Widget logo

Breastfeeding Peer Counseling is available for pregnant and breastfeeding WIC participants throughout their pregnancy and breastfeeding journey.

Contact the Pierce-Pepin WIC program's peer counselor for support through your breastfeeding journey: Jessica 715-781-5466
Public Health Breastfeeding Support
Pierce County Public Health Department offers several ways to support breastfeeding:

  • If you have questions or are experiencing breastfeeding difficulties contact your health care provider or call the Pierce County Public Health Department to speak with a lactation specialist at (715) 273-6755.
  • Pierce County Public Health Department has breast pumps available for rent (at a cost). For more information call: (715) 273-6755.
Referrals at WIC: Listing of Community Resources
Health Services

  • For assistance in signing up for Medicaid call the Great Rivers Consortium at 1-888-283-0012
  • Guide to Mental Health Services provides information on the types and locations of local mental health services are available as well as what forms of insurance are generally accepted.
  • Wisconsin Immunization Program: Ask about at your next WIC visit or call 715-273-6755 to schedule an appointment (in Pierce County) or 715-672-5961 (in Pepin County).
  • Local Dentists List who accept Medicaid or have Sliding Scale Service Fees

Food Assistance

Breastfeeding Support

Developmental and Special Health Care Programs

Physical Activity Programs

Substance Use and Abuse

  • Smoking Cessation: No judgment, just support. Sign up or learn more about First Breath a free program to support you on your quit journey. Visit this website and fill out the confidential request form. A First Breath Quit Coach will contact you!
  • Counseling/treatment programs: Call Pierce County Human Services at 715-273-6770
  • Emergency Care: Call 715-273-6770 during weekday office hours or the Sheriff's Department, 715-273-5051 any time during the day or night.

Looking for another resource?

Call or text 2-1-1: When you need help and don't know where to turn, 211 is your one-stop connection to the local services that are here for you, like food and utility assistance, housing, mental health service and crisis intervention, elder care, disaster services, substance abuse help, and much more.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,
color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: 

mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
fax: (202) 690-7442; or
email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.