Marriage License

Marriage License Application Information
for Weddings performed in Wisconsin 

The Pierce County Clerk's office will issue Marriage Licenses by appointment only. Please call ahead to schedule an appointment 715-273-6744.  Appointments will be scheduled between the hours of 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday (Holidays excluded). 

You may apply at any County Clerk's office in Wisconsin regardless of your residency.  License is valid in any county in Wisconsin.

Marriage license are valid for 60 days from the date of issuance.  There is a 3 day waiting period once the application is accepted.  Therefore applicants must apply at least  4 days prior to the date of the wedding but no more than 60 days before to meet the state law requirements.

Fee for a marriage license in Pierce County is $80.  We accept checks and cash.  Credit and Debit cards are also welcome; however, there is an additional processing fee.

Both parties
must be present to apply for a marriage license. Please include all required documents listed below at the time of application.

Marriage License Application
Open the Marriage License Application and save a copy to your computer, use that copy to complete your application and provide at the time of appointment.

Photo ID and Proof of Residency
Valid Driver's License/State ID that shows your residential address for the last 30 days. If your Driver's License/State ID does not have your correct address, you must also provide other proof such as utility statement, telephone bill, or other posted mail that must be over 30 days old as well as the ID.

Certified Birth Certificate
Certified birth certificates typically have a raised seal or are printed on security paper.

Last Previous Marriage Documents, if applicable
Regardless of how long it's been since your last marriage ended, Wisconsin law requires proof of how your last marriage ended. If by divorce, the certified judgment of divorce signed by the judge is required. If by death, a certified death certificate is needed. If by legal annulment, certified copy of the legal annulment. An annulment issued by a church or religious organization is not acceptable.

Local Officiants


Where Do I Apply?
Anyone getting married in  Wisconsin may apply at any County Clerk’s office in the State of Wisconsin regardless of your residency.
Is there an age requirement?
Any person who has attained the age of 18 years may marry if otherwise competent.  If a person is between the ages of 16 and 18, the license will be issued only with written consent of parents, guardian or custodian.  Parents must be present at the appointment to complete consent forms.
What is the cost of a license?
The cost of a marriage license in Pierce County is $80.  We accept checks and cash.  Credit and Debit cards are also welcome; however, there is an additional processing fee.
Who can perform a marriage ceremony?
Wis. Stats. 765.16: Marriage contract, how made; officiating person.

(1m) Marriage may be validly solemnized and contracted in this state only after a marriage license has been issued therefor, and only by the mutual declarations of the 2 parties to be joined in the marriage that they take each other as husband and wife, made before an authorized officiating person and in the presence of at least 2 competent adult witnesses other than the officiating person. The following are authorized to be officiating persons:

  • Any ordained member of the clergy of any religious denomination or society who continues to be an ordained member of the clergy.
  • Any licentiate of a denominational body or an appointee of any bishop serving as the regular member of the clergy of any church of the denomination to which the member of the clergy belongs, if not restrained from so doing by the discipline of the church or denomination.
  • The 23 parties themselves, by mutual declarations, that they take each other as husband and wife, in accordance with the customs, rules and regulations of any religious society, denomination or sect to which either of the parties may belong.
  • Any judge of a court of record or a reserve judge appointed under s. 753.075.
  • Any circuit court commissioner appointed under SCR 75.02 (1) or supplemental court commissioner appointed under s. 757.675 (1).
  • Any municipal judge.

(2m) An officiating person under sub. (1m) (a), (b), (d), (e), or (f) must be at least 18 years old.

Applicants are responsible for determining their chosen officiant is compliant with Wisconsin State Statutes. Applicants must determine whether or not they meet the statutory requirement for self-marriage. If couples have questions regarding the legality of their officiant or self-marriage, contact legal counsel.
Will you accept my document if they are not in English?
Required documents in a language other than English must be translated to English with a notarized English translator. Translation cannot be done by the applicants themselves or by relatives or friends of the applicants. Applicants must make their own arrangements prior to applying.