Location and Office Hours

Third Floor
Pierce County Office Building
412 W. Kinne St.
PO Box 670
Ellsworth, WI 54011

General Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm
(Closed Holidays)

Phone: 715.273.6766 or 715.273.6770
Fax: 715.273.6862

Staff Contacts

Ron Schmidt - EXT 6777

Children, Youth & Families Program Manager
Carly Ohman - EXT 6772
Kristi Frederick - EXT 6773

Mental Health & AODA Program Manager
Ron Kiesler - EXT 6642

Economic Support Manager
Christina Tuenge - EXT 6795

Child Support Manager
Luann Berger - EXT 6625

ADRC Manager
Heather Conway - EXT 6593






ACCESS—Online Tool at

  • See what health, nutrition and other programs you may be able to get
  • Apply for FoodShare, BadgerCare Plus, and Medicaid
  • Check the status of your benefits (for example: what health care plan you are enrolled, the amount of FoodShare benefits)
  • Report changes (example, new address or job)
  • Replace your lost or damaged ForwardHealth card
  • Renew your benefits and submit your FoodShare/Child Care Six-Month Report forms

FoodShare, Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus for Families Member Services—1.800.362.3002

    • Premiums
    • Covered Services and Copayments
    • Health Insurance Premium Payments
    • Find a Provider
    • Replace your ForwardHealth Card

Local Agency 715.273.6788 or access.wi.gov

    • Apply for benefits
    • Complete a renewal
    • Questions about eligibility and enrollment rules

Great Rivers Call Center or access.wi.gov —1.888.283.0012

    • Report changes online or by phone
    • General questions
    • Apply for FoodShare, BadgerCare Plus, Medicaid & ChildCare
    • Cancel or Reschedule Appointments

Centralized Document Processing Unit—1.855.293.1822

    • Report changes or send proof/verification by fax using a Document Tracking Sheet (DTS) —members receive a Document Tracking Sheet (DTS) in the mail as part of a request for information, or they can obtain a DTS by logging in to their ACCESS account at access.wi.gov and printing one.

FoodShare Members
Quest Customer Services—1.877.415.5164

    • General information about your card
    • To report a lost, stolen or damaged card
    • Replace your QUEST card

Members Enrolled in an HMO
HMO Enrollment Specialist—1.800.291.2002
HMO Ombudsman—1.800.760.0001
Call 1.800.657.2038 or 711 (TTY)* if you:

    • Want to apply for SeniorCare,
    • Have questions about your application,
    • Need to report a change, or
    • Have questions about your SeniorCare card.

Consumer Guides and other information about programs and services provide through the Department of Health Services can be found at http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/programs/ or http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/em/customerhelp/


This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, and in some cases religion and political beliefs.